As the Democrat Presidential candidate Joe Biden has recently tweeted, “Transgender equality is the civil rights issue of our time”*, this topic needs to be addressed in order for this site to be thorough in fulfilling its function of informing you as to the positions of the candidates and parties on all issues.
People who classify themselves to be "transgender" constitute approximately 0.6% of the population of the U.S.A., according to surveys, and those classifying themselves as "LGBT" were found to constitute 4.5% of the population (by a 2017 Gallup poll).
Issues related to sexuality and gender - “ such as how “sex” is defined in federal statutes, whether individuals with gender dysphoria can serve in the military, and whether “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” become protected categories in federal civil rights law - “ will be significantly influenced by the results of the 2020 election.
*See below for the source of this statement
Use the buttons in the Table of Contents below to select your topics of interest, or scroll down this page to study all topics.
Christian Faith Teaching
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states the following, in Part I, Section III, MALE AND FEMALE HE CREATED THEM:
Equality and difference willed by God:
369 Man and woman have been created, which is to say, willed by God: on the one hand, in perfect equality as human persons; on the other, in their respective beings as man and woman. "Being man" or "being woman" is a reality which is good and willed by God: man and woman possess an inalienable dignity which comes to them immediately from God their Creator. Man and woman are both with one and the same dignity "in the image of God". In their "being-man" and "being-woman", they reflect the Creator's wisdom and goodness.
372 Man and woman were made "for each other" - not that God left them half-made and incomplete: he created them to be a communion of persons, in which each can be "helpmate" to the other, for they are equal as persons ("bone of my bones. . .") and complementary as masculine and feminine. In marriage God unites them in such a way that, by forming "one flesh", they can transmit human life: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. "By transmitting human life to their descendants, man and woman as spouses and parents cooperate in a unique way in the Creator's work.The Catechism of the Catholic Church is available (free of charge) on the website of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB): ccc.usccb.org
“Transgenderism” - Medical Facts
Trump/Pence Administration’s record
The following content is taken from the article, Gender and Sexuality in the 2020 Election, appearing on the website of the Family Research Council. Here is a link to this article on this site: Gender and Sexuality in Election 2020
The Trump/Pence administration has repeatedly prioritized life, family, and religious liberty issues, repealing Obama/Biden directives dealing with sexual orientation and gender identity and taking proactive steps to defend those who hold to a biblical sexual ethic. In addition, the administration has implemented an originalist interpretation of the Constitution, which does not read social policy preferences into the law but allows for an interpretation of the plain text to arrive at legal conclusions. Many of the administration’s policy changes flow from this interpretation, contrasting starkly with the policies of the prior Obama/Biden administration. Here are three examples:
• In 2016, the Obama/Biden administration had abolished the longstanding prohibition on transgender military service, establishing a policy that allowed people who identified as the opposite of their biological sex to join the armed forces; undergo so-called sexual re-orientation surgery and hormone treatment (at the expense of the government, i.e., taxpayers); and serve in accordance with their “transgender” sex. Due in part to concerns that this policy, which was effectively using the military for social experiments, would negatively impact military readiness, lethality, and unit cohesion, the Trump/Pence administration revoked and replaced this policy on March 23, 2018. This Trump/Pence policy allows existing transgender-identifying personnel to remain in the military but prevents new applicants who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria or have undergone gender transition surgery from joining the military. Those who identify as transgender, but do not undergo “gender transition” surgery, can join so long as they serve in accordance with their biological sex.
• In 2018, the Trump/Pence administration’s Department of Justice (DOJ) filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court defending the First Amendment rights of baker Jack Phillips who declined to create a custom cake for a same-sex wedding ceremony. The DOJ argued that the government should not coerce Phillips into creating messages that violated his sincerely held religious beliefs. Phillips won a 7-2 decision delivered on June 4, 2018.
• In 2016, the Obama/Biden administration established a regulation stating that “sex” includes “gender identity” and is not solely determined by biology. In contrast, in the interpretation of statutes, the Trump/Pence administration has consistently argued that “sex” refers to biological sex, not “gender identity.” For example, on May 24, 2019, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) proposed a new regulation that clarifies that discrimination on the basis of sex in section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act was to be interpreted under the plain meaning of the word, i.e., biological sex.
Joe Biden’s record
Joe Biden: "Transgender equality is the civil rights issue of our time"
On January 25, 2020, Joe Biden tweeted:
“Let’s be clear: Transgender equality is the civil rights issue of our time. There is no room for compromise when it comes to basic human rights.”
On January 29, 2020, Elizabeth Johnson* responded with the following questions regarding other "basic human rights":
- If there’s “no room for compromise,” what does that mean for the biological women who are being erased and victimized by biological men who throw on a dress and demand entrance and acceptance into women-only spaces like shelters, bathrooms, and competitive sports?
What about the right to privacy for the little girl who risks a bladder infection because she doesn’t want to use the bathroom or locker room at school alongside a gender-confused little boy?
What about the hardworking female athletes who lose matches, titles, and scholarships to biological men who have simply been on estrogen for a year after living their entire lives with inherently stronger male physiology? Or, on that note, the women who have their skulls broken by their opponents without even being warned that they’ll be fighting a biological male?
What about the rights of women who were raped in prison after a man decided he was a woman, received “gender therapy” on the taxpayer dime, and demanded to be housed in a women’s facility?
What about the right to informed consent for the fathers whose sons are being “transitioned” against their will in spite of inconsistently identifying as “transgender” amid psychological abuse and neglect by their mothers?
What about the innocent children in communities where convicted child molesters are being released because, now that they identify as women and supposedly no longer have a “male sex drive,” they are deemed no longer a threat?
This is what the world looks like when transgender “rights” are made the top priority among our leaders. Transgender “equality” isn’t the civil rights issue of our time, it’s among the greatest threats of our time.
* Source: ActivistMommy.com - Elizabeth Johnson - January 28, 2020
Link to article: Joe Biden Declares
Joe Biden supports same-sex marriage
In 2012, as Obama and Biden ran for a second term, Biden went public with his surprise reversal: “I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying one another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties,” he said on Meet the Press.
The Biden Foundation, which suspended operations when the former vice president launched his White House bid this year, promoted acceptance and inclusion initiatives targeting families of LGBTQ youth. A collaboration with other organizations involved a storytelling campaign focused specifically on transgender and gender-nonconforming youth.
Note: The Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 is a landmark United States federal statute enacted in December 2010 that established a process for ending the Don't ask, don't tell policy, thus allowing gay, lesbian, and bisexual people to serve openly in the United States Armed Forces.
Source: BuzzFeedNews.com - Henry J. Gomez - 10/2/19
Link to article: Biden supports gay marriage
Today, Joe Biden is running for president on a platform committed to advancing LGBT rights. The centerpiece of his publicly released plan is the passage of the Equality Act. In fact, according to his campaign, enacting the Equality Act is the “top legislative priority” for Biden’s first 100 days. Notably, the Equality Act would codify sexual orientation and gender identity as protected classes in U.S. civil rights law, thereby granting them the same status as race and national origin. The act also undermines religious protections currently in place by stripping individuals of a Religious Freedom and Restoration Act (RFRA) claim or defense.
Compare the Parties’ Platforms
Discrimination against whom? Compare Administrations
2017 to Present:
November 1, 2019 -The Trump administration proposed changes to the 2017 Obama/Biden rule, stipulating that federal discrimination standards must adhere to the Constitution, acts of Congress, and Supreme Court decisions. This prevents rules coming into effect that constitute the opinions of unelected bureaucrats. In doing so, these rules restored to the faith-based agencies the religious freedom promised by the Bill of Rights.
Faith-based groups have worked with government agencies to provide safe, healthy homes for children for decades. Catholic charities in many cities have been among the largest partners in caring for these children.
These agencies, bolstered by social science and moral principle, believe that the best home for a child is one that includes a mother and a father.
The good people who work in these faith-based adoption agencies shouldn’t have to choose between the good of children and their deeply-held beliefs.
And most importantly, vulnerable kids shouldn’t be used as political footballs.
Source: Catholicvote.org - Brian Burch (11/11/19) - Another Win
2008 to 2016:
Days before Barack Obama left office in 2017, Department of Health and Human Services officials declared it was “discrimination” for faith-based adoption and foster care agencies to only place children in homes with a mother and a father (versus a same-sex “marriage” home). This move would appeal to the LGBT lobby, whose goal is to coerce Catholic agencies into affirming same-sex marriage.
As a result of this rule, tens of thousands of foster care children had been awaiting adoption, with hundreds of agencies and thousands of families willing to help. The rule prevented families from being served by faith-based programs.
Source: Catholicvote.org - Brian Burch (11/11/19) - Another Win